Why did Ashanti and Nelly Breakup? Reason Behind the Split

Publish date: 2024-05-03

One of the music couples that fans admired was Nelly and Ashanti. They started dating in 2003 and jointly released music. For some time they kept their relationship a secret and Nelly even wanted to wed the Happy singer.

But when Nelly was questioned about getting married to Ashanti. He stated that his career was his top priority in an interview. He said:

“I don’t know, right now we’re just friends, I’m married to my work. I’m married to getting things into a certain situation. She’s married to getting things into a certain situation right now.”

However, the couple ended their over ten-year relationship in 2013. You will know the reason behind their split in this post.

What is the Reason Behind Ashanti and Nelly’s Breakup?

The singer gave a hint as to why she and Nelly broke up on an episode of The Meredith Vieira Show from 2015 when she said:

“I think sometimes when people have their own insecurities it allows them to act out of character. I’ve been betrayed. I’m not a big fan of people being cowards. I’m in a different place now.”

The performer also seems to allude to this treachery while onstage at a concert in 2018. She entered the stage and said, “I’ve been betrayed before. Publicly at that.”

An audience member reportedly exclaimed, “f**k Nelly!” in response, to which the singer responded, “Word.” The Gotta Move On singer said she hasn’t regretted her choice since then when she appeared on a Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen episode in 2019.

Are They Both Spotted Together After Their Breakup?

Despite remarks suggesting that Nelly might have wronged Ashanti when the two ended their previous romance, the musicians appear to be getting along better these days.

Nelly and Ashanti both made an appearance on stage during a 2021 Verzuz match between Fat Joe and Ja Rule. Nelly approached Ashanti and hugged her in front of the audience.

In a later Instagram Live after the performance, Ashanti addressed the embrace and assured fans that she and Nelly were not seeing each other again.

Following this, Ashanti said during an appearance on “The Tamron Hall Show” that her former breakup with Nelly had “long since subsided.” But in December 2022, The artists reunited on stage to perform their song “Body On Me” during the Under The Mistletoe performance, according to a post on Instagram by photographer Moe Horta.

On April 2022, after being seen together at a wrestling bout, American musicians Nelly and Ashanti fueled relationship speculations. The two sat next to each other at the Gervonta Davis vs. Ryan Garcia boxing event on April 22 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Ashanti & Nelly spotted at the fight tonight pic.twitter.com/g6sJyv9Q2C

— ASHANTI DAILY (@ashantidaily) April 23, 2023

After the altercation, the pair could also be spotted holding hands, giving supporters hope that they were reconciled. Recently, The “Hot in Herre” rapper posted a video to his Instagram Story on Monday, August 7 morning of himself and Ashanti singing love songs to Usher’s “Nice & Slow” while grinning, laughing and cuddling up to one other.

Although, it is unclear are they come back together or not. When we get official confirmation we will share it with you. Follow us on Twitter to receive the most recent updates and learn more about other celebrities’ personal lives.

ncG1vNJzZmiulaPBtr7Eo6alrF6YvK57kWlpbGdgbXxxhI6wn7JllJ6xbq3SoZinrJlirq%2BwjKecpaSpYq%2BzscCkrKln